This site assenbles a collection of Accounts, Biographies, Stories, Genealogies, and Family Histories concerning people who have been known through the centuries by the surname MURDUCK, in all of it's varied forms and spellings. The study is supported by the The Guild of One-Name Studies.

William Edgar Elliott's

July, 1918

Canadian Expeditionary Force Letter



William George Murduck

of Coleman Post Office, Ontario


In early August of 1918, William George Murduck, of  East Toronto, received a letter from England. The letter had been written by his friend and neighbour William "Bill" Edgar Elliott, who was stationed at that time at Witley Camp while serving with the Canadian Expeditinary Force (CEF). This letter is significant because we find here one of the very few extant references to Frensham Pond, one of the CEF segregation camps set up for Canadian soldiers during the Great War. Frensham Pond and other locations were established as places to isolate arriving Canadian soldiers from the general British population, in an effort to reduce the potential transmission of disease. Bill also mentions by name many of the men he and George knew from East Toronto whom he met at Frensham Pond Camp, at Witley Camp, and at local English villages.

Read the full story (it opens in a new window).... Do you know anything about Bill Elliott? Do you have any photographs of him, or of George Murduck - perhaps as someone you've been unable to identify? We'd love it if you could....

Contact Bruce D. Murduck   concerning any matter at all.

George Charles Murduck's

First Sweetheart

circa 1938-1940


Photographs of

George Murduck & Muriel Ockenden


Following his death in Kingston, Ontario, in June, 2011, a small collection of photographic prints and negatives was found among the possessions of George Charles Murduck. Born in early 1921, George was raised in the east end of Toronto, living just east of the Victoria Park Avenue and Danforth Avenue intersection. Muriel Ockenden, also born in Toronto in 1921, appears to have been George's first 'sweeheart'.

Read the full story (it opens in a new window).... 

Contact Bruce D. Murduck   concerning any matter at all.

The author is very interested to learn of any other photographs showing George Charles Murduck and/or Muriel Ockenden. Also of interest are facts which might help identify any of the other people who figure in these photographs. The author welcomes any and all comments or observations on this article. 

Frederick George Foley’s

“Dead Man’s Penny”


Found in George Charles Murduck's Estate


After he died in mid-2011, a 'Dead Man's Penny' was found in the home of George Charles Murduck. George was born in Toronto, Ontario, Canada, in 1921, but he moved to Peterborough, Ontario, in early 1946, and by late 1949 he was living in Kingston. George died in Kingston.

What is a “Dead Man’s Penny”?  They are Memorial Plaques, made of bronze, about 5” in diameter, that were issued to the next-of-kin of all British and Empire military service personnel who were killed as a result their participation in the Great War. Also known popularly as ‘death plaques’, they were designed in England, and between the fall of 1918 and December of 1919, were made at the Memorial Plaque Factory, 54/56 Church Road, Acton, W3, London.

Licensees of the 'Cocke and Coache Inn'

on the Moulsham Road 

Chelmsford, Essex, England


John Murduck was perhaps the 

last License holder, in 1777.


Located adjacent to the Moulsham Road bridge over the River Cann in Chelmsford, later known as the "Cocke Inn", and then as the "Cock Inn", a man named John Murduck held one of the last Licences for this pub or tavern, in 1777.

The “Cocke and Coache Inn”, later just the “Cocke Inn”, and still later, the “Cock Inn”, was in operation in Chelmsford from around 1470 until at least 1777. The ‘Cock Inn', with it's barns, stables, yards, and gardens was located on the east side of the High Street, Chelmsford, abutting the old Moulsham Bridge. For many years the Inn's Keepers played leading governance and commercial roles in the Parish of St. Mary's, Chelmsford.

William Murduck



A Bricklayer in London, England


William Murduck was born in his parents’ home in Bethnal Green (London), England, probably very early in 1834. His parents – Thomas and Mary Ann [nee Coleman], crossed parish boundaries from Bethnal Green to Stepney when they had their son baptised at St. Dunstan’s, the church of the Parish of Stepney, on 9 February 1834.1 Thomas the father was a bricklayer/builder (born 1795) who had moved in to east London probably in the fall of 1825, a little more than eight years before William’s birth. Thomas had been married to Mary Coleman in 1821, in the Parish of Writtle (near Chelmsford in Essex County, north and east of London about 40 miles). Two surviving children who had been born in Writtle – John (born 1822) and Eliza (born 1826) made the move with him. In Bethnal Green, Thomas (1829), Mary Ann Lucy (1831), then William, Elizabeth Sarah (1836), George (1839), Charles (1842), and Edward (1843) were born.

R. G. Murduck


a Photographer


Exmouth and Eland, England


circa 1900 through about 1936


Robert George Murduck was a photographer known to have worked commercially in England between about 1900 and 1936. Born in the Parish of Hackney (Greater London) in 1875, he moved with his family to Hastings (Sussex County) around 1888, where he apprenticed to a local professional photographer who's name is not known today. By 1898 he was in Exmouth, Devonshire, and there his skill and business flourished. He moved to Eland, Yorkshire, in the 1920s, from which place he retired in 1936. He died in Eland in 1947.