The Family of
Samuel & Isabella [nee Burns] Johnston
Of Northern Ireland
Samuel JOHNSTON and Isabella BURNS were married in the Townsend Street Presbyterian Church in Belfast, Ireland, on 5 May 1838. Samuel was said at that time to be 'of Carrickfergus', while Isabella was said to be 'of Ballynahinch'. Two men from Belfast stood as witnesses to the ceremony - Arthur Johnston and John Johnston. Their relationship with Samuel is not presently known.
Seven children are known from the marriage, all of whom are known to have survived to adulthood. Samuel worked as a gardener in Ireland, as did his son Robert, before he moved to the United States in the late 1870s. Isabella died in Belfast on 27 July 1878. Samuel moved to the United States - Toledo, Ohio, probably late in 1900 or early 1901. It's believed that he lived there within his oldest son Robert's household. Samuel died in Toledo in 1901.
Their known children were:
- Robert Johnston, b. 06 Apr [1839-1840 ?], Ireland; d. 05 Oct 1925, Toledo, Ohio, USA.
- John Johnston, b. 1842, Belfast, Ireland; m. Elizabeth ORR, Belfast, 1864; d. 08 Nov 1916, Toronto, Canada. Discover more about John & Elizabeth's family here.
- Maria Johnston, b. 1845.
- Isabella Johnston, b. 1849; d. 1942.
- Anie Johnston, b. 1850; d. 1944; m. John PETTIGREW, b. 1850; d. 1931.
- Martha Johnston, b. 1853; d. 1926; m. Albert OSBORNE.
- Samuel Johnston, b. 1855; d. 25 Jan 1950, Belfast, Northern Ireland.
Nothing is known about the origins or parents of either Samuel Johnston or Isabella Burns, although speculation suggests that Isabella's father was named Robert.
See collections of photographs which show a likeness of Samuel Johnston and some of his descendants, and Isabella's grave site and memorial stone in Belfast.
Are you aware of any photographs which show images of
Samuel Johnston, or particularly his wife Isabella Burns,
or any of their children or descendants?
What about stories or facts, even speculative ones, about any of these people?
We would love to learn about them, and add them to this collection. Thank you for your help!